This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey explains how to install a mini-split air conditioner. (See below for a shopping list and tools.)
SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Richard traveled to Tampa, Florida to help a homeowner find a cooling solution for his garage. The homeowner used the garage as a workshop in the summer months, but said that it was too hot and humid in there to work comfortably. To solve the problem, Richard and local expert David Zimmerman installed a “mini-split” air conditioner. The system uses no ductwork. Instead, an air-handler unit is mounted inside on a wall, and the condenser unit is mounted outside.
Shopping List for How to Install a Mini-Split Air Conditioner:
– mini-split air conditioner [https://amzn.to/2vyimyj]
– ground pad [https://amzn.to/2Veahyb], for supporting condenser unit
– 1-inch-diameter PVC pipe and assorted fittings [https://amzn.to/2WkL6q7], used as condensate drain line
– PVC primer [https://amzn.to/2GQcbe7] and cement [https://amzn.to/2vxt6x3], used to join together PVC drain line 5. armor-sheathed electrical cable [https://amzn.to/2PKKGH1], provides line-voltage power to the air conditioner
– low-voltage wire [https://amzn.to/2LkaPOu], sends signal from air conditioner to condenser
Tools for How to Install a Mini-Split Air Conditioner:
– drill/driver [https://amzn.to/2UR4vxf]
– 1 _-inch hole saw [https://amzn.to/2IVdvjo], used to make hole for refrigerant lines
– level [https://amzn.to/2ZVAu3l], used to level pad that supports condenser unit
– drywall saw [https://amzn.to/2WjOQIz] or jigsaw [https://amzn.to/2PKAgar], used to cut hole in interior wall
– hammer [https://amzn.to/2ZTYvYy]
– pliers [https://amzn.to/2Vbozzj]
– wire strippers [https://amzn.to/2LkgVhP]
The “Mr. Slim” ductless mini-split air conditioner was manufactured by Mitsubishi Electric [https://metahvac.com/].
It was Installed by David Zimmerman, Zimmerman’s Air Conditioning & Heating, Inc.
Additional assistance was provided by Ryan Hansen, electrician, Hansen Electric, Inc.
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Looking for more step by step guidance on how to complete projects around the house? Join This Old House Insider to stream over 1,000 episodes commercial-free: https://bit.ly/2GPiYbH
Plus, download our FREE app for full-episode streaming to your connected TV, phone or tablet: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/pages/streaming-app
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more on This Old House and Ask This Old House, visit us at: http://bit.ly/ThisOldHouseWebsite
How to Install a Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioner | This Old House